Utumishi Bora Awards is an annual event which seeks to recognize individuals who have made a difference in the society. The ultimate aim being to provide a platform for Christians who have served in an exemplary manner to be celebrated and acknowledged in public by doing so, we contribute towards the implementation of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya that promotes Leadership and Integrity.
The theme of Utumishi Bora is Psalms 78-72 “And David shepherded them with Integrity of the Heart, with skillful hands he led them”.
The awards especially seek to:-
- Honor God through His works
- Challenge mediocrity and naivety in Christianity
- Stir, promote and develop giftedness in churches
- Lift and expose Christian great works in the society
- Encourage the believers to mature their giftedness
- Wage an indirect war against corruption, tribalism and sloth in Kenya
The categories of Nomination
- Crusading And Promotion
- Research And Writing
The Basis on Which to Select such Persons
- Major Contributions or Ultimate Sacrifice
- Solving a biting problem (e.g. Corruption)
- Meeting a felt Need (e.g. Unemployment)
- Answering asked question (e.g. when is the end of slums in our towns?)
- Expanding an existing expandable organization (e.g. NYS)
- Introducing an idea that brings blessings to Kenya (e.g. Harambee Spirit)
- Stopping a current calamity (e.g. Road Carnage)
- Demonstrating an exceptional talent (e.g. sportsmanship)
Utumishi Bora Awards 2016
The 2nd Utumishi Bora Awards was held successfully at the Panafric Hotel on 4th November 2016.
brought together the nominees, their families, friends and KCPF members who came to celebrate the victory of the awardees.
In their remarks, the key guests emphasized on the need of Christian professionals to serve in an exemplary manner in the market place.
The Governor of Central Bank of Kenya, Dr. Njoroge, who was the chief guest urged all Kenyans regardless, of their faith to serve with excellence and dedication. He stated that the greatest leadership example one can give is their own example.
The winners of the 2016 awards were:
- Mtumishi Bora Grand Winner 2016 – Dr. Gideon Muriuki
- Pioneering and innovation – Mr. Maina George Mugwe
- Mentorship – Mr. Raphael Obonyo
- Crusading and promotion – Mr.Njonjo Mue
- Leadership – Rev. Ambrose Nyangao
- Research and writing – Dr. Javier Aranguren
- Integrity – Mr. Fred Ojiambo
Utumishi Bora Awards 2015
The first Awards was held at Sarova Panafric on 19th September 2015 organized by the committee who agreed to hold it annually with focus on different target groups of nominees. This being the first awards focused on different Christian Leaders who had exempted exemplary character of a leader in their work.
The guest speaker was Dr. Mugo Kibati who challenged the Christian professionals to show their integrity in their areas of work, he exclaimed “Why do we allow the church to fund raise when we have Christian professionals?”
From a list of 38 nominees, 7 people were awarded using the respective criteria as outlined:
- Grand Awardee – Pst. Simon Mbevi
- Pioneering/ Innovation – Mr. John Kithaka
- Mentorship Awardee – Mrs. Rahab Mungai
- Crusading and Promoting- Ms Monika Miako
- Leadership – Mr. John Ng’ang’a
- Research and writing- Prof. David Sperling
- Integrity Awardee- Architect Lee Gituto Karuri